A lot of people I know have been talking about the recently announced 2012 MacArthur Fellows. This probably has a lot to do with Junot Díaz making the list. However, I thought I should say what I would do if I was ever lucky enough to get such a grant.
I think I would have to:
- Dress in brown military fatigues, wear a pilot-looking hat, and get a pipe (never lit).
- Go on a campaign to the Philippines (non-violent, even though that wouldn’t be in character).
- Tell everyone to start calling me ‘Doug.’
- Get in an argument with some guy named Truman over something related to China.
- Say things like: “Old soldiers never die; they just fade away” or “We are not retreating – we are advancing in another direction.”
Doesn’t that sound like a good use of a MacArthur fellowship? Surely this is what they intend. If it isn’t, then it should be.