There are quite a few cartoons that I hated and am embarrassed to admit that I still watched. I don’t mean ones that were just bad, these are actually ones I hated and watched anyway. Obviously, I used to watch a lot more television than I do now. Now I read. However, at the time I would watch a lot of things just because I wanted to watch something and these were cartoons.
Here is a short list:
– Captain Planet and the Planeteers. I actually have a few friends who liked this show. However, it stunk. I despised this show. Still, I watched a bunch of episodes when there was nothing else on. It made me want to go and dump oil on my lawn.
– Shirt Tales. This show was preachy, vapid, and poorly done. I watched it all the time and despised every moment.
– The Flintstones. Yeah, I know people loved this show. I did not. It was an animated version of a crappy adult sitcom. I didn’t enjoy any of the millions of episodes I watched. Clearly, I am a moron.
– The World of David the Gnome. There is no way to express how much I hated this show and its sanitized, homogenized feel. I did watch it though when there was nothing else on and I should have been doing something constructive.
– Rugrats. Yes, I watched this show. No, I am not proud.
– Doug. Man, I hated this show. I wanted to find Doug and beat the shit out of him. It was one of the most bland and boring shows I ever watched. Yet…I did watch. Mostly hoping that Doug would be killed by something more interesting and lifelike than himself.
– Voltron. Actually, I kind of liked this show so maybe it doesn’t belong on this list. Even as crappy as it was, it was still better than Doug.
– Inspector Gadget. Again, kind of liked this show. Still, I’m embarrassed by that fact alone. That kid and dog carried his career.
– Star Wars: Ewoks. I can’t say enough bad things about this cartoon. If George Lucas hadn’t committed the atrocity of putting in Ewoks instead of Wookiees battles this cartoon would never have existed. I watched anyway and have always rued that portion of my life that I lost.
Well, that’s just a few. There were many other cartoons I hated but watched anyway. In modern times I just didn’t watch anything if there wasn’t something I wanted to watch, but I used to be a lot more apathetic about shows I hated.