In order to help people have more fun with The Garden Of Good And Evil Pancakes, I thought I’d write up some reading questions. Thought this would be helpful for any reading groups looking at the book, or for anyone on their own who wanted to go a little further by themselves.
Regardless, I hope people have fun with these:
The Garden Of Good And Evil Pancakes Reading Questions
1. Are the characters really trapped in a Village Inn? Is this even a yes or no question, or is it more muddled than that?
2. Have you ever tried the multigrain pancakes at Village Inn? If so, what did you think?
3. What do Cassandra, Thomas, and Kate each really want? Do they really know?
4. Does Cassandra have a habit of talking about something other than what she’s talking about? Is this steady, or are there conditions that cause this to vary?
5. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen happen in a Village Inn or similar restaurant?
6. Who should take care of Daedalus and why?
7. How do Cassandra, Kate, and Thomas really feel about each other? What makes you take this particular position?
8. What are the similarities and differences you see between the side characters Cassandra at least partially imagines (Sherri the waitress, Alphonse the dishwasher, the manager, Redhead and Mr. IT)?
9. Would you want to be trapped in a Village Inn like the characters might or might not be? Why?
10. After reading, which would you say are the “good pancakes” and which are the “evil” ones?
11. What is your favorite Village Inn type restaurant and why?
12. Which character do you most sympathize with? Do you find that character to be the most interesting?
13. What’s your favorite restaurant breakfast and why?
14. How much of Cassandra’s world do you think she defines in terms of herself?
15. What is your position on maple/pancake/sugar-free/flavored syrups? How strongly do you feel about that?
16. Are popover pancakes real pancakes or not? How about potato pancakes?
17. Is Cassandra a good or a bad person? How about Thomas and Kate?
18. Which of the stories that Cassandra tells is your favorite and why?