I know the tiny living concept has been around for a while, yurts and Futuro Homes and such in the 60s and all that. I get the idea behind them too, trying to drop out of some of the rat race by doing with less. I get that, and I get the fascination with watching all that on TV.
Sometimes I think this will all just be a small subculture and won’t go too far. Other times I worry it will really catch on, for one particular reason. Here’s how it goes:
- People go for tiny living because they don’t want to spend the money it takes to get a house.
- Tiny living becomes normal.
- Since tiny living is the norm, actual houses only are affordable to the rich.
- Tiny living becomes expensive because everyone is doing it.
- Tiny living start costs rise to above $500,000.
See my concern? Tiny living could become the only real option, and it could end up just as expensive as normal housing is now.
I would not look forward to that.