I am not a handy person. However, I was pretty sure there was something off with my furnace. I had water dripping out of the top pipe instead of the lower pipe by the drain.
I didn’t remember it ever doing that before. It splattered everywhere due to the height, so I thought I’d remember. I swore the builder guy told me when we moved in that water from the upper pipe instead of the lower signified an issue, but my wife thought it had just been extra humid recently and that the air conditioner had been working hard. Both went to the condenser, so I thought she might be right. I knew there was a third pipe that definitely signified a problem, a vertical one that definitely meant something wasn’t draining, but I wasn’t sure about this.
I finally decided to mess with it. I poked at the lower pipe a bit. I noticed it could move, and that the end was tilted slightly upward. That didn’t seem right. I pushed it back and it moved a couple inches. Suddenly, water came flooding out the bottom and the upper pipe stopped dripping.
At some point, someone must have kicked the lower pipe out of whack. It wasn’t much, but that lower pipe is long enough that even a small tilt can cause water to build up. It only needs to build up a little bit before it seals the elbow at the back. At that point, air pressure alone apparently can force the water out the top pipe instead.
Good stuff to know, but I’m way more thrilled with myself than I should be for figuring that out. My furnace room floor is now as dry as it should be. Such a minor thing, but now I’m not worried that there’s actually something wrong with my furnace.